U.S. Citizens and Green Card holders may also sponsor “Preference Relatives”, including married and unmarried adult sons and/or daughters (over 21) of U.S. citizens; brothers and/or sisters of U.S. citizens. Also included as preference relatives are: spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and/or daughters (over 21) of U.S. permanent residents.


  • The sponsoring relative must file a petition on behalf of the qualifying foreign national relative. If the relative is outside the U.S., the immigrant visa case will proceed via processing at the S. Embassy or Consulate.
  • Immediate relatives require an I-130 filing for each sponsored family member.
  • Sufficient supportive documentation of the qualifying family relationship must be provided.
  • Family-based cases most often require an affidavit of financial support